Thursday, February 18, 2010

Certain things you can only find in a small town...

When I first moved into my current apartment, I just had a full size bed in my bedroom. No headboard, but one adorable comforter and pillows. I knew I wanted to get a headboard, but finding just a full size headboard was much more difficult than I could have imagined. But, during a random weekend at home, Mom and I ventured off to a local furniture store and finally struck headboard gold! Hanging up on the wall of the furniture store, yes, literally hanging, we found a black, faux-wooden (I'm sure) full-size headboard! I knew we had to get it even though it was black and my bedding is brown, but I knew I couldn't pass up this hanging headboard.

After getting the headboard box back to Oklahoma, I let the box sit in my garage a couple of days while trying to decide what to do with it. Eventually I decided on a color and got to work. With this being my first furniture painting attempt, I knew this would take some researching. I got my sand paper, primer, and brush and got to work. After an hour of putting the headboard together, multiple sheets of sand paper, 2 coats of primer, and 4 coats of the paint...I finally had my first completed furniture painting project and a complete bed!

So my headboard went from this...(not the actual headboard, but close)

And the finished product!
I love how it turned out, and it totally gave me the bug to keep up with redoing things for my new home!


1 comment:

  1. I don't have a headboard either... so now that I know you are an expert at headboards I'm putting you on the task!

    ReplyDelete